Thursday, August 21, 2008

Events – Chinese Hungry Ghost Festival (Kotai, Tortoise Buns, Chinese Opera)

When I was a child, I always look forward to the Hungry Ghost Festival. I love to watch the Chinese Opera although most of the time, I don’t quite understand the old style of Chinese dialect the performers used. My mom would allow me to stay up late until 12 midnight to watch the shows. I still miss the popiah(spring roll), lobak(spiced meat), leng chi kang(sweet dessert) and kueh kark(fried radish cake) from the temporary stalls that were set up during the festival. The temple near my old house in my hometown will give away small flags which I will collect and use the bamboo to make kites. Those were the good old days. This is a part of our rich Chinese culture that I think we should pass on and explain to the younger generation. So, I brought my daughter to one of these festivals recently and below are some of the pictures she took. Flags with sponsors company name......................Cute tortoise buns, some piggy back riding! A sea of tortoise buns.............................................Some newly hatched baby tortoise! And................... The sexy Kotai(concert)!

14 comments:

Calvin Soo KJ said...

bro, you're back...kinda busy huh? btw, the tortoises sure looks yummy.

Roses said...

are those turtle buns meant to be eaten?!?! or for decor or for wandering spirits?!?
just curious..cause all this hassle over Ghost fest is getting my atten

Pete said...

Calvin : Have to push up the sales. With all the colouring, I wonder whether it is edible.

Rose : I don't thk it is edible, more of a decor. But if someone were to eat it better peel off the outer skin. I did not know what they do with it as I missed the sending off ceremony.

Anonymous said...

Indeed, it's important to observe our culture and pass it on to the younger generations. It's what forms our identity. :)

Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I've wanted to post something about the hungry ghost festival, but Pete beats me to it. Haha... it can be eaten lah...i ate those turtle...but I peeled those skin off. it's yummy... inside got filling summore la, the turtle pao!

Pete said...

cc : Thks for dropping by.

cleff : Ha Ha, took the pics two weeks ago. The ones that I ate normally have very thin skin and not so colourful. Agree, very nice. I like to fry it with flour batter, mmmmmmmm, tasty!

Josephine said...

Wow! colorful turtles!
Ya, sexy Kotao Mei! Young, some are as young as 4 years old! hahaha.

Btw when wanna update Vegan? I am waiting leh.

Pete said...

Josephine : Ya Lah, the girl looks so young. Just posted on this morning. Chk it out.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

The tortoises bun looks so cute... and yummy yummy...

Beverly's Secret said...

Those tortoise buns are soooo cute!!!
Nice meeting you, pete!!

Pete said...

Somewhere in Spore : Thks for visiting my blog.

Beverly : Thks for dropping by here. Nice meeting you too.

Johnny Ong said...

when i was young i was dragged along to the temple for the festival as grandma wants to go. i dont get to go inside as it was too packed but will be givin away donations to the poors (in coins given by dad)

Pete said...

Johnny, Thks for dropping by. Good Karma for you for giving donations!

eunice said...

Those photos from the Ghost Festival are really interesting!