Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Quickie Curry Mee Recipe – A Surprised Supper Meal!

When I asked my daughter what she wants to eat for supper, she told me cheekily that she wanted curry mee. She knew that it is quite impossible for me to cook up something that complicated for supper. However, she was in for a surprise when I managed to prepare a very simplified version of curry me using all the ingredients that I have within 30 minutes. First I put two pots water to boil at the same time, one to cook the bihun (rice vermicelli) and one for the curry mee soup. I recycled the bihun hot water and used it to make a hard boil egg. While waiting for the water to boil, I prepare the shallots and serai (lemongrass) from my garden. For the creamy taste, I used cheese as a substitute for coconut milk (santan). So, here is another quickie meal recipe.

Quickie Curry Mee
Ingredients
Prawns, 3 pcs with shell
Cheese, 1 piece (or you can use evaporated milk)
Water, 2 rice bowls
Oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon
Curry powder, 2 table spoons mixed with a little water \
Chilly Powder, 1 teaspoon (optional) \
Shallots, 3 pcs, chopped finely
Serai, 1 pc, chopped finely \
Salt to taste
Egg, 1 pc, hard boiled and cut into two
Long beans, 2 pcs, cut into 1 inch length
Bihun (rice vermicelli, I don’t have yellow mee in stock) , 2 servings, cook shortly in hot water to soften

Bring water for soup to a boil and add in the prawns. Add in the oyster sauce, cheese, long beans and salt to taste. Let the soup boil for a short while and turn off the fire. Heat up wok and put in a little vegetable oil. Sautéed the serai and shallots until golden brown. Then add in the curry paste and chilly powder. Stir fry the mixture until fragrant. Put the fried mixture into the soup. Put some of the soften bihun on a bowl and pour the soup over it. Garnish with hard boil egg and serve. ‘Daddy’s Curry Mee is ready’, I called out. My daughter didn’t believe me until she sees it for herself! Ha ha ha!

19 comments:

suituapui said...

Clever you! Wah! Used the same water to boil egg! The water not all murky or cloudy kah?

xin said...

wow!!! O_O u are a full-of-surprises dad i must praise! but i think u should stop cooking supper for yr daughter :P if not she is going to blame u when she grows up

cleffairy said...

LOL? Ur Superpete! Can cook so many quickie for your kids! LOL...

Unknown said...

pretty awesome and quick..love it..thanks for sharing the recipe ..better if i tumpang satu mangkuk :)

[SK] said...

wow, are you sure cheese can replace the santan?? this is so unbelievable!! i thot you'll instead use your girl's milk powder, haha!! so how's the taste??

smallkucing said...

LOL...quickie Curry Mee

Very aptly named.

You are a geniusla, Pete

Annie Q said...

wow! It look yummylicious!! You're very creative!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

You are a rajin papa..

Willie a.k.a Reptoz said...

Hahaha...for me? I will be cooking maggie noodle with curry flavour.

wenn said...

fantastic! For me, i would just use the maggi curry mee.

MaryMoh said...

Would be most welcoming now in this cold weather. One of my favourite comfort food.

Pete said...

STP : A little cloudy because bihun needs to boil very short while only, but then egg got shell ,although porous, no problem lah!

Xin : She is very skinny....cannot put on weight....got my genes! LOL!

Cleff : Good to have some fun cooking. he he he!

Umi : Sure boleh...LOL!

SK : Milk smell would be a little differen got vanilla flavour added, become vanilla curry me...ha ha ha....evaporated would be ok.

smallkucing : Simply hentam, luckily it turned up nice...he he he!

Annie : Luckily it is edible, LOL!

Sonia : Papa also hungry, so have to cook! ha ha ha!

Willie : Ahhhh, maggi only takes 2 minutes...faster!

Pete said...

Wenn : Maggi curry I also like, yummy!

Mary Moh : Spicy stuff good for cold weathers......better than drinking alkohol...LOL!

cleffairy said...

Well... I would love to cook if my cooking is appreciated too. Unfortunately, I am not a good cook. =(

Pete said...

Cleff : Step by step lah, slowly everyone would appreciate your cooking!

Cheryl said...

Ooohh...sounds very good. And I bet your daughter was surprised and delighted! What a thoughtful dad!

Pete said...

Cheryl : She really didn't believe it until she tasted the dish!

Ayie said...

wow, i need more soupy meals

Bengbeng said...

very creative of you. i will try out cheeses instead of milk one day.Catching up on all the posts I missed. I will try the butter chicken rice

Hey, happy Chap Goh Mei