Monday, May 17, 2010

Making Makisushi with leftover Fried Eggs with French Beans and Onions – Recipe

Sushi rolling mat and sushi vinegar
When I had some leftover fried eggs with beans and onions, I know it is time for me to take out my makisu (巻簾, bamboo rolling mat) to make some sushi rolls (makisushi). It has been quite some time ago since I last made sushi for my eldest son. He loves sushi and this is a good way for me to make good use of the leftover food I have. I did not use the short grain Calrose rice but just improvise with some leftover rice from dinner. Generally you just need rice, condiments, nori (seaweed sheets), a dash of vinegar (normal or sushi vinegar) and a little salt to make Makizushi (巻寿司, rolled sushi) or makimono (巻物, variety of rolls).

Ingredients
Calrose rice (or normal rice), steamed or cooked
Sushi Vinegar (or normal vinegar), a few drops
Salt, to taste
Nori (seaweed wrappers)
Fried Eggs with French Beans and onions

Put a few drops of vinegar into the rice and stir it until well mixed. Add salt to taste. Put nori on the makisu (bamboo rolling mat). Put the fried eggs on the nori. Add rice and roll the nori to compress the rice so that it will not all off when you cut the makisushi. Cut the sushi and eat with a little wasabi (horseradish with mustard powder) with soya sauce or shoyu.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to make sushi. But not anymore. Too lazy. It's too much work. Nowadays, prefer to just pop into a restaurant for sushi fix.

PranisKitchen said...

sushi with eggs and beans..delicious..if u don't mind pls add the step by step preparation with pics .(next time)

Angie's Recipes said...

Not really a sushi fan, but once in a long while some Maki would be nice too.

smallkucing said...

Dun like the seaweed smell ler :(

Namitha said...

Interesting..never had this before

Christine said...

you make it sound so easy Pete..but I have a feeling it won't be that way for me!

Sarah Naveen said...

new recipe..thanx for sharing :)

manglish said...

hahahhhaaaah ok very creative, waste no food ahaha but the sushi a bit colorless hahhaha ;p

tasteofbeirut said...

You make it sound so simple Pete! Love your technique~

Cheryl said...

I've never had sushi but I guess its time I gave it a try.

Willie a.k.a Reptoz said...

Home made sushi? I wonder how it tastes. Must be delicious when Pete make it right? Wa...

tinyskillet said...

We love sushi. Thanks for a new recipe, it fun to try all kinds!

suituapui said...

Not a fan of sushi. My daughter loves them though - she made some not long ago in NZ, said they can buy the set there - everything inclusive...the ingredients, the mat - can make up to 50 pieces. So nice!

Reanaclaire said...

another Thumbs Up, Pete.. my girl loves sushi..
i bought the mat thing to do it but couldnt come out .. sigh.... so far did once and that is it! hahahaha.. that one also made with fish paste and not rice.. just used the seaweed thing to wrap it up.. this time i think i use the foo chuk to wrap it up instead..

Love2cook Malaysia said...

Great attempt in using those leftovers! Sushi looks tempting...;)

Merryn said...

oooooooooooooooh yes! sushi! i can have them anytime anywhere... sushi i can roll! finally..something here that i can also do :D

Yee Ling said...

Duno how to make sushi...wat's more without the tools.

Sushi, anytime**

cleffairy said...

I'm the lazy kind. I prefer to just get my sushi from the sushi outlet and whatnot. Rice leftover? Nasi goreng! LOLOL!

tuti said...

great motivation for the kids to study hard. because papa works hard at giving them innovative food, so it's such a great exchange!

mNhL said...

wow....now u conquer Japanese!

Al said...

Pete thank you so much for giving me an idea on how to re-cook left over fried eggs. I have of it in the fridge and I sometimes mix them in my fried rice, so what else? Maki is the one!

wenn said...

good idea!

Cheah said...

Nice sushi! Don't mind having some once in a while.