Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Round Family Trip to Empangan Batu (Sg Tua), Ulu Yam, Batang Kali and Rawang (Bak Kut Teh)

It was a beautiful sunny Sunday morning and I decided to take my family for an outing. I have not been back to Empangan Batu (Batu Dam, built during the colonial days) in Sg Tua for quite some time already. The water in this dam flows from the Titiwangsa Mountain Range. My last trip there many years ago was to hunt for Toman fish. There are lots of Toman in this Dam that provides water supply to residents in the Klang Valley. Unfortunately they are quite smart and it is not easy to catch them. The toman fish over populated and adapted well in this dam. The number of carps and other fish population dropped drastically. Most of them especially juvenile fishes fell prey to the aggresive toman. First stop at Empangan Batu. It is nice to enjoy the peaceful and serene scenic atmosphere around the dam. I saw some mountain bikers had just finished their expedition and were relaxing at the stop area at the dam. This is a nice rest area. Sadly, very typical of Malaysian public places; the toilet is in bad shape and need major repairs. Next, we stopped by a fruit stall near Ulu Yam. We ended up buying banana, coconut, guava, pineapple and rambutans.

We were very hungry by the time we reached Rawang town. I was looking for the chicken rice coffee shop ( Hock Tong Hong) but unfortunately they were no longer around. I wonder where they have moved to? Therefore we just hop in to Restaurant Try To Eat at Rawang main road near Bintang Supermarket for a quick meal of Bak Kut Teh. We must have been very hungry because the simple bak kut teh (all pai kuat, pork ribs) with rice tasted so good. LOL!
Here is the map of our round trip to Empangan Batu (Sg Tua), Ulu Yam, Batang Kali and Rawang (Bak Kut Teh)

15 comments:

suituapui said...

Oooo...the bak kut teh looks good. So much meat... Here, only 3 pieces 1 serving - RM8 with rice...

Christine said...

nice outing, nice meal!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Malaysia have a lot of nice nice place to visit...

Reanaclaire said...

BKT.. not my favourite but will still eat it once awhile.. :)

wenn said...

love the scenery..

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

the other day, i passed by this area after attended my BIL funeral, this place is beautiful and peace..

Caroline said...

nice outing and love the peaceful with scenic view. :)

Alice Law said...

You remind me my late father, he used to fish Toman before he brought us to a seafood restaurant to enjoy a dish of his 'victory'!...:)

I didn't know Rawang has good Bak Kut Teh, I love Bak Kut Teh to bits, thanks for shairng!

Have a nice day!

smallkucing said...

thinking of going there too...heard there is a waterfall somewhere there.

Saw one of the TV show there is nice steam fish some where in Rawang

Aunty Liew said...

You have remind me the famouse "Loh Mee" at Ulu Yam. I missed the loh mee there.

Anonymous said...

I have heard about Ulu Yam. Hope to visit it one day.

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Wonder if you put Toman & Pirahna together who will win the fight? Nice greens bro. kamsia

Student Accommodation said...

Really very adventurous places with having a nice meal.Good trip...

fufu said...

should go further up to tg malim buy veggies from my mother at the pasar! lol

Student Accommodation said...

I hope you have enjoyed your sunday with your family. I like the pictures you have shared. It's a very good place for outing, and of course malasia has some very beautiful outing places.