Friday, November 19, 2010

Ghee Hiang Tau Sar Peah (Green Bean Biscuit)

Ghee Hiang has been around in Penang for the last 150 years. This famous Penang product is a must have for visitor coming to this old ex-colonial island. In one of my recent short trip back to Penang I manage to stop by at one of the many Ghee Hiang outlet at Macalister Road after a hearthy lunch of lobak at Kheng Pin Restaurant.
The was a good crowd at this popular Tau sar peah (Green Bean Biscuit, Tambun Biscuit) . Chee Hiang also manufacture very high quality sesame oil which is widely used by mothers during confinement period.
We bought a few packets to bring back for our friends in KL. After all these years, Ghee Hiang still managed to produce good quality and delicious biscuts!

14 comments:

Alice Law said...

I always fall for Penang Tau Sar Peah, it's nice even have it with plain water!^-^

Hey... I recognise that metal thingy, it's for the kopitiam to boil steaming hot water for their fragrant coffee while toasting those crunchy Hainam roti! Yummy!

Have a nice weekend!

suituapui said...

I think I went there long ago - probably in the late 90s...when my family and I were on a guided tour of the island. Not really a fan of tambun though - I prefer heong peah...

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Tau Sar Peah is always my favourite... hehe...

fufu said...

wow wow... show the pictures... let me drool :)

wenn said...

i love tau sar peah!

Christine said...

what is in the photo Pete? Some kind of oven?

smallkucing said...

uiks...so many ppl ah....geting to be very popular

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Oh nice 'charcoal boiler' that reminded me of "Ah Pek leh kopi 'o' nor chiang" haha.. that's the usual words I heard in my uncle's kopitiam those days each time I go there during my school holidays..boh kai lu.

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Sorry have long 'swtiched' brand no more going for Ghee Hiang after those 'begging' experiences when they monopolised the tambun bickies..

Pete said...

Christine : The metal thing is used to fill hot water with charcoal burning underneath to make coffee. They also toasted bread using this.

cleffairy said...

Oooo... very long never eat this liao. T_T

Little Kit Boy said...

Oh..Ghee Hiang TSP..my favourite. I went there once and the Q was really long but I heard that nowadays we can actually called to pre-order the TSP in advance, any idea?

Pete said...

Little Kit Boy : Wah, can order by phone, I didn't know that leh.

Christine said...

interesting Pete, you should do a post on how exactly this works.