Saturday, April 23, 2011

Unique Hawker Food from Food Court in Sg Rambai, Bukit Mertajam

My sister 'tar pau' (take away) the food as in the photos below for me when I was back in my home town recently. She bought them from a food court at Sg Rambai in Bukit Mertajam(BM). I have not been to that place, so I can't comment much about it. Maybe I will drop by on my next trip back.
The photo below shows a hawker food named 'Steamed Kueh Teow'. This is the first time I ate this type of Keuh Teow. The kueh teow (flat rice noodles) is of the wide type just like the one used in Penang Tuapan. There are pieces of fish fillet inside and the soup is very flavourful. I can't really describe the actual taste but it is really good! Unfortunately, they did not cut the fish properly and there are some bones still left in the fillet.


The bihun (rice vemicelli) might look very plain and colourless, but it is actually very delicious. There are crispy anchovies in the bihun and the sambal belachan (fermented shrimp paste chilli) goes along really well with this unique dish. I must make a point to check out this food court in Sg Rambai BM, on my next trip! LOL!

7 comments:

Christine said...

good stuff today, Pete. Happy Easter!

suituapui said...

Ya...never judge based on looks. Some look so nice only - some may not look nice but can be so yummy!

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Interesting steamed kueh teow. Long time have not been there my sister stayed then before.

lena said...

hey pete, you've been tagged for the easter party@5 recipes to celebrate easter..feel free to join !

Hayley said...

Interesting, the kuey teow looks quite tempting...

[SK] said...

both look so nice and delicious, especially the steam koay teow, i see the gravy already know it tastes great..

timing said...

wah steamed kuay teow? unique is definitely the right word to use, hehe.