Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Deep Fried Grouper Fish with Assam Jawa (Tamarind) and Turmeric Recipe

It is not advisable to marinade seafood, like fish too long or else you would end up with soggy flesh. Fish should only be marinated around 20 to 30 minutes before cooking. Furthermore, the texture of the fish flesh allows it to absorb the marinade easily as compared with meat..
I have these two medium table size Grouper and I was curious how they would taste liked with Assam Jawa (tamarind). I added some turmeric for additional flavour and colour. The deep fried Grouper with Tamarind & Turmeric taste good if eaten with Sambal Belachan (fermented shrimp paste chillies)

Ingredients
Grouper (garoupa) Fish, 2 medium table size
Turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon
Light soya sauce, 2 tablespoons
Tamarind (Assam Jawa), 1 tablespoon (without seeds)
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil for deep frying

Marinade the fish with turmeric, light soya sauce, tamarind and salt to taste for around 20 minutes. Heat up wok and put in the vegetable oil. Deep fry fish until they crisp a little. Take out the fish and drain away excess oil. Serve with Sambal belachan!

PS : You can also barbecue, grill or bake the fish.

14 comments:

Yannie said...

I like those with sambal sumbat fried fish.

yvonne said...

Same like Yan, I like sambal sumbat fried fish.... but served with sambal belachan also can la!

PFx said...

That's one yummy looking grouper! Turmeric added to prevent alzheimer's too. :)

Anonymous said...

no fish allow in my tummy,lol :D
tukar with ayam, ok kah?

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I loves fish...

Shereen said...

I super excited when I spotted the word "garoupa".You see, I suck at fish spotting and can never recognise my fish except ikan bawal putih.However,recently I managed to buy huge fish roe which I was told come from 'garoupa' fish.So,surely I can find those fish here,kan?But then hor, looking at the roe,I am sure the fish that produced the roe must be as big as the ikan paus!!!
Anyways, Nyonya ppl like to goreng ikan tenggiri with tamarind paste until a bit garing and then when plating,we'll siram the fish with the minyak that goreng the ikan and pour some soy sauce and a bit of sweet soy sauce.Makan with nasi panas...sedap!

Alice Law said...

The fish looks so fragrant, bet it flaky crisp at the outside and padat while succulent in the inside! YUMMY!

suituapui said...

Gosh! That looks goooood!!!! Like the fish at my regular Malay food stall here. I like!!!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Never try tamarind in fish cooking, and what Shereen described her method, sound delicious.

Reanaclaire said...

Normally I steam fish cos my girl likes it like that.. Grouper is very sweet and nice if it is fresh..

[SK] said...

oh, i guess the tumeric kind of goes well with fried fish, as it can neutralise the greasiness right??

Christine said...

OMG this looks sooo delicious. Thanks for the marinade tip. I didn't know that.

Merryn said...

now only i know kenot marinate long long. i always tot when it comes to marinating, tak kira fish or meat, the longer the better! @_@

Sarah Naveen said...

Oh my ..the fish looks awesome!!!!!