Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Trip Up Penang Hill (Bukit Bendera) in the New Funicular Train

 My last trip to Penang Hill (Bukit Bendera) was almost 20 years ago. Gosh, time really flies. I was in Penang during the recent school holidays and my wife suggested that we take the kids up to Penang Hill. At first I was a little reluctant to go because of the holidays crowd and the usual heavy traffic up Dato Keramat and Ayer Itam road. Anyway, I was glad that I finally made it up there again. Penang Hill brings back lots of fond memories during my younger days!
Here are some of the random photos I took....

The old entrance to the Funicular Railway station is still standing.....
 Queuing for the tickets. Family packages are available. Be ready with your family members' ICs to proof that you are Malaysian so that you will get to purchase specially priced tickets.
 Much more comfortable waiting area before going to the boarding platform...
 On the way up Penang Hill in the brand new Funicular Train!
 View from the top. The air is cool! Most of the places on  the top Penang Hill still look the same as the last time when I went up there.
 This old bungalow is still around! I think I stayed here 30 years ago!........Had some great time with my friends here!
 Then I met Mr Ulat Gonggok (Malaysian Giant Millipede, Diplopoda), all curled up nicely....
 Met another friend, Mr Ulat Bulu (Hairy Caterpillar).....better not touch it....your skin will itch badly if you do!
 This time not Ulat but Mr Ular or aka Mr Long (snake). I am always fascinated with snakes. When I was young, I asked my sister to buy me a book about snake written by a local professor. I am still keeping this book! Snake has very nice and smooth skin, just like your leather sofa.
My little toddler wanted to take photo with the snake. Aiyo, he thought that he can play with the snake (python) just like a pet! LOL!
 When I saw this little hawker stall up at Penang Hill.....my little headache went away! Wooooopie....time to eat! ha ha ha!
 Sapu (wallop) ice kacang (shaved ice with sweet syrup) first.....damm nice!
 Then go for Kueh Teow soup (mixed with bihun, rice vermicelli, kueh teow theng). Another nice bowl of food! Glorious Penang hawker food! yum yum yum!
 Still not enough, order another plate of Char Kueh Teow (Fried Flat Rice noodles)...he he he! Really nice and delicious! Then I down all the food with a can of cool 100 Plus...LOL!

11 comments:

Yannie said...

Pete, I went to the same place to eat Ice Kacang in June. I regret not taking any picture now.

yvonne said...

This is the best food ever, hawker food in Penang!! I've never been to Bukit Bendera before, although I went to Penang numerous times. No one wants to bring me there *sob*. But I remember my dad used to bring me to see monkeys at dunno-which park there. And hell, I was excited. Thinking now, what's so nice about those fierce and greedy monkeys, ceh.

About that gigantic ulat gonggok, I've seen it during my maiden trip up to Maxwell hill. One word to describe it - GELI. Yucks!

Reanaclaire said...

My last visit to Penang Hill was in 1980s... went with my husband.. since then, never been up .. always ended up in penang town makan-ing only..

Small Kucing said...

we didnt go up there this trip

Christine said...

Penang Hill looks like a fun outing, thanks for sharing!

[SK] said...

omg, i really cannot remember since when was the last time i went to Bukit Bendera, 20 years ago maybe!! haha.. and the hairy caterpillar really looks interesting and cute, but i guess it's quite fatal??

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Think my last trip there could be double of yours haha. You would not have taken the ride if not for the kids. No likey snake too cold.

suituapui said...

I was up there once - in 1971...and had my first Penang assam laksa there - didn't like it. LOL!!

Caca said...

very good camera you have, nice photos

Anonymous said...

The bug kinda freaked me out, I'd love to go to there someday.

Alice Law said...

Beside your scrumptious meal, I prefer the ulat bulu, so cute!